Thursday, September 25, 2008

Why this version of the Primer is different

I am aware that there are several "updated" versions of the New England Primer available over the Internet. Someone may then ask, "what makes yours unique?"

First, I did a lot more than just modernize the spelling and punctuation, which is what most of them mean by "updated." Rather, I approached this text book with an earnest desire to really make it better and suitable for teaching young children today. I changed the language to reflect modern English, including replacing words when necessary. For instance, there is one selection that uses the word "faggot," as referring to fuel for a fire. Since that is a word never used and almost forgotten in that context, I changed it. I smoothed out awkward lines of poetry and rearranged the words to make it read better. I scrutinized every selection for quality, content and suitability.

Among the pieces that I chose to leave out were the ones majoring on infant death. For instance, one starts "I in the burying place may see graves shorter there than I...." Pretty grim. Plus there were lines in places that appeared to suggest that bad children may generally expect to die young. Of course, lots of babies and small children did die in Puritan New England, so that was a pressing reality for them, but not as much a one as now. It is important, I believe, to teach children that they do not know how long they will live, so they should trust in God today, but I do object to making it appear like a foregone conclusion.

As far as theology is concerned, the Puritans were of course conservative Presbyterian in their theology. This was visible in mentions of infant baptism, of the child as part of the church through that baptism, and a heavy emphasis on the Ten Commandments and sabbatarianism. When I looked for "baptist catechisms" on the internet, I found versions of the Shorter Westminster Catechism with references to infant baptism removed, but no other modifications. The Ten Commandments were still referred to as the "moral law" which was given to Adam and Eve in the garden, though, which I, with my New Covenant theology, did not find to be Biblically accurate. So, with some hesitation and after talking it over with my pastor, I carefully added a few questions to address this issue. I also added a question to the Ten Commandments section to accommodate a non-sabbatarian New Covenant understanding of the fourth commandment. All this, combined with numerous small modifications to the poems, I did to render the text as Biblical accurate as I could.

Those who are not Presbyterian in their theology may enjoy portions of the New England Primer, but will aways encounter problems if they endeavor to use it to teach their children doctrine. And those who might want to use it with young children will find the language problematic in places, and the rhymes rough and uneven. I believe I have addressed all of these issues, for this reason the Baptist New England Primer is superior to any other version of the New England Primer available as a text book for educating young children.

No comments: